The cat i' the adage

"The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement" Karl Popper (1902 - 1994)

Friday, February 18, 2005

Anybody for hunting?

Hunting with hounds is now illegal in the United Kingdom. I have never hunted. I have never wanted to hunt. In fact, if pushed I would say that I don't approve of hunting. So I support the ban? Emphatically not.

I don't want to ban everything I disapprove of, and I am aware that there are aspects of my behaviour that are disapproved of by others and which they might want to ban. Children think that the principal business of government is banning things, but even in a democracy this can lead to tyranny - Tocqueville's "tyranny of the majority".

1 Comments:

At 19 February 2005 at 11:03, Blogger tor said...

Couldn't agree more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home