The cat i' the adage

"The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement" Karl Popper (1902 - 1994)

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Atkins and epilepsy

There are encouraging signs that diets like Atkins which are high in fat and low in carbohydrates may help suppress epileptic seizures in the vulnerable, by forcing the body to burn fat rather than sugar for energy - a shift which apparently has an anti-convulsive effect.

I am normally sceptical of links between diet and health - it is one of the central myths of our age that disease can be avoided with a careful choice of dietary regime - so I'll wait for further results before declaring victory for Atkins, much as it would please me to be able to do so. I can't help saying, though, that I wouldn't expect the mainstream media to display the same restraint if this were an opportunity to publicise a healthy effect of the orthodox low-fat diet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home