The cat i' the adage

"The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement" Karl Popper (1902 - 1994)

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Not the way to win the British over to the European ideal

Putin and Schroder sit back sniggering while Chirac cracks feeble anti-British jokes. This would be a demeaning scene even if the individuals concerned were not the political leaders of the three fastest fading global powers. We would reprimand our schoolchildren for such puerile chauvinistic name-calling.

The French, I concede, are in a position to disparage British cuisine but I hardly think we need lessons on cooking from the Russians or the Germans for that matter. As for M Chirac, he is sorely testing my Francophilia. Were it not for the fact that the French sensibly hold him in deep loathing, I might be tempted to put off my planned gastronomic tour of Alsace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home